The new Pregabalin Assay from ARK Diagnostics, Inc. and Specialty Diagnostix is the first homogeneous enzyme immunoassay available for Pregabalin. It is a fast, sensitive and convenient alternative to the more time-consuming chromatographic methods to establish abuse or misuse of Pregabalin and may be easily integrated into existing drugs of abuse screening procedures.
- Convenient and simple screening method for Pregabalin, especially in the forensic context
- Highly specific and sensitive assay for the detection of Pregabalin even in low concentrations
- No time-consuming sample preparation and extraction
- Liquid, stable, ready-to-use reagents, calibrators and controls
- Application protocols for all major clinical chemistry analyzers
Originally designed as a more potent successor to Gabapentin, Pregabalin is an anticonvulsant serving as a first-line antiepileptic agent. It is also particularly effective in the treatment of neuropathic pain and generalized anxiety syndromes. In Europe, Pregabalin is the only medication approved for the treatment of central and peripheral neuropathic disorders.
Although it is officially considered to have only a low potential for abuse, a growing number of publications report actual misuse of pregabalin, especially in patients with a history of substance abuse. In addition, patients treated with pregabalin seem to develop a tolerance with regular use that might easily slide into addiction. Withdrawal effects may be severe.